Thursday, January 31, 2008

Southern Nevada Stage Race

Holly was the Chief Judge for the Southern Nevada Stage Race last weekend. The race was in Las Vegas. I rode down to the race with Cindy Yorgason on Wednesday. Thursday we spent most of the day at Pro Cyclery Bike Shop for Registration and Packet Pick Up.

We woke up during the night on Thursday to the sound of dripping water. The room above us had a leak in one of the pipes and it was leaking into our bathroom. The next morning the hotel moved us into a new roon.

Friday was the time trial, north of Las Vegas. We had some excitement before the race, as the Monte Carlo hotel was on fire. The fire was contained to the top few floors, but it had the freeway shut completly down for a time.

Saturday was Crits at Sam Boyd Stadium. The race went around the stadium. First race was to start at 8:00 am, the last race finished around 4:00. After the race all of the officials had a training session with Marilyn Allen, a UCI Commissaire. She was my assistant for the races, and I learned a lot from her. Thank you Marilyn. I look forward to working with you again this summer.

Sunday we woke up to the sound of water again, except this time it was the rain outside. The first wave of races had rain and wind to race with. I was really glad for the Sports Events trailer to stand inside. The second wave of racers had bitter cold, and wind for their races. We finished for the day at 5:00 (Utah time) and headed for home. I got home at 11:45, I was really tired and ready to sleep in my own bed.

It is hard to believe that I already have my first race of the year under my belt.

No comments: