Saturday, October 29, 2011

State Champions!

We went to Sunny St George for the Red Rocks Invitational Marching Band State Championship.  It was a beautiful weekend, the weather was wonderful.  We dropped Rachael off at the school to ride the buses to St George and Richard and I began our drive to St George.  We got there and helped to mark a soccer field for the kids to practice on


Yes, that is Richard drawing lines on the field. 

The kids arrived and practice began

First the warm ups

Then running thru the show - again and again and again



I have enjoyed watching Rachael practice.  I have gone to lots of after school practices, and seen the girls do the same 16 counts over and over again.  Then move to the next 16 counts and do them over and over again.  I don't know how they do it.  They work hard in the heat of the summer, the surprise rainstorms, in the cold of a first snow storm.  I don't know that I could have done what I have watched Rachael do each and every practice.  I am so proud of her, the leadership she shows as a captain, the persistence she shows as she does it again and again to get it right.  At the practice today they changed something at the end of the show - looking forward to see how that looks in a performance. 

After practice the band had an Awards Banquet Dinner.

Rachael and the other Guard Captains presented a gift to Tiffany and gifts for all of the Guard  girls. 

The next morning started early for Richard and I.  Back to the stadium to help get things ready for the day.  Richard was putting barriers out, helping to park buses  and semi's, doing whatever he sees need to be done.  He got do do one of his favorite things for part of the day, drive a golf cart around and take food and drinks to volunteers around the area.  Me - I had a cush job.  I got to sit inside the stadium and make sure that an area of seats reserved for the performing band directors stayed clear for them.  It was fun to be able to just enjoy all of the shows.  I was able to sign Mom and Dad up for a shift each of keeping the directors area clear, so we all got in free.  It was perfect.

It is fun to see all of the shows.  I enjoy the small bands and the big bands, they all put in a lot of time and practice to get here for the State Championships.  I was able to zip over to the hotel and help Rachael and one of her roommates with their hair.  All to soon the 5 American Fork High School Marching Band Buses arrived, the Guard already in uniform and the band members putting their's on as soon as they arrived. 







Their 45 minute warm up begins, they go into their normal warm up routine.  The next time I see them they are entering the field


And the show begins














Before I knew it the show was over.  The last show of the Utah Season, it is done, and I'm not ready for it to happen,  This has not been my of the show that American Fork has done, but I enjoy watching them each and every time, and I will miss it.

All that is left is the awards

All of the trophies waiting to be awarded.

AMERICAN FORK HIGH SCHOOL MARCHING BAND and COLOR GUARD - recieved

FIRST PLACE

and was crowned

UTAH STATE MARCHING BAND 5A

CHAMPIONS!!!


Way to go American Fork. 

Bring on the Bands of America Regional Championship tomorrow.


2 comments:

Elizabeth Schatz said...

You know, I've heard you never really love someone until you serve them. Can I just say you've done an incredible job being a guard mom ( and Richard a "band" dad!) no wonder you are sad to see it go. But you have every performance recorded and thousands of pictures to cherish it! You will be so happy in years to come that you've documented this so well. I bet Rachael and her posterity will be glad as well. Thanks for sharing it with us! The band and Guard are absolutely FANTASTIC!

Leake's said...

These kids are great! But they have great parents whose footsteps are pretty big to fill.