Monday, February 1, 2010

Bands of American - Grand Nationals

WOW! What an experience! For me - it was a long drive. We left American Fork about 8:00 am and drove until 10:30 pm. spending the night somewhere in Nebraska. We were up and on the road early Thursday morning to drive the rest of the way. The kids flew on 3 different airplanes to get there. One group left at 4:00 am, the biggest group was on a charter leaving at 8:00 am, and Rachael's group leaving at 10:00. Waht a logistical nightmare - good thing they had a travel agent working out all of their details.

We met up with the kids at their Hotel Thursday evening. Rachael's group didn't even arrive until very late, so I didn't see her until the next morning. They had enough buses for all the students and chaperones, and I was able to ride on the bus with them to the stadium. We helped to get things unloaded in the parking lot and off they went to the first of their practice areas. Only the band and their leaders get to go, the rest of us wished them luck and headed into the stadium.


The couple of days before coming to Indianolopis I heard the kids say a couple of times, that they weren't coming here to win, they were coming to say Thank you to all the bands all over the United States who had sent them cards, and flowers, and well wishes after the bus crash and loss of Heather. So Heather, this performance is for you - the life that you gave for us.











All I can way is WOW! This is a really amazing thing. Each of the bands performing is so good, I don't know how the judges can score one better than the other. Each show is unique and different. The costumes the Color Guards wear and the props used by the bands. This is really the best of the best. We had a big group of American Fork High School fans all sitting together and we made lots of noise as the band came in. Just looking at the band waiting to come in brought tears to my eyes.




I watched this performance with different eyes. The eyes of all the people who donated money to help get the band here. Richard and I, Grandma and Grandpa, Neighbors, and people we don't know all donated to make this trip possible. I watched it for all of them, I watched it for all those who loved this band thru the trials of a tragic bus crash. I watched it for Heather's family, who sat beside me in the stadium. So glad that they were able to make this trip with the band. I watched this show with great pride for all the members of the band and the sacrifices they made to be here. I watched this show, as all members of the band marched in the show for the first time since the bus accident.
I know it is hard to see in the photo. But there are no band members standing on the sidelines playing their instrument due to injuries. I know that this was possible to the prayers of many.



The band performed wonderfully. They did what they came to do. They honored Heather and her memory by showing everyone their show as a THANK YOU!

As a bonus - The band made it into the semi finals. We came back on Saturday morning and performed again. They were GREAT. The band did not make it into the finals, yes we were sad, but it was okay. The band got to stay and watch the finals. The bulk of the students came home on Sunday. Rachael was part of a group who spent Sunday night in Chicago and got to do some touring before they came home.

No comments: